Tips for Rodent Infestation’s Identification and Prevention
Rodents are scurrying through the roof and walls of their homes are one of the biggest fears of homeowners. These organisms are not just nuisance but they are far more than the inconvenience they cause. They are year-round pests that feed by gnawing on every possible substance in your house.
It is good to remember that they are minimalist in their lifestyle. They just need a bit of water, shelter, and a source of food. Fabric, wood, paper, leftovers or sheets, anything can easily fit in as food for them. They can cause havoc if they set to hold in your home.
Are you facing such a situation? Hire rodents control in Glen Head NY to get rid of them. This post will get you through all the aspects of identification and prevention. If you see any of the below-mentioned signs of rodent infestation, take action immediately.
Identifying Rodent Infestation
Identifying a rodent infestation in your home at an early stage is essential to prevent damages. As these organisms are more active at night or are termed as nocturnal, it is difficult to spot them. A lot of homeowners miss, or at times, ignore the signs of infestation.
Any of the following signs are alarming and indicate an infestation.
- If you see black rice-sized peculiar droppings in your house, some mice or rat is already in the building. Fresh droppings are black and moist, as they get older; they dry out and turn into grey. You might find them near food sources or water.
- Spindle-shaped black droppings are signs of roof rats.
- Gnaw marks at the food packaging in your home are clear signs of a rodent r3esident of your home. Fresh gnaws are lighter in color and darken as they age.
- A stinky stale smell lurking in your home is also a sign of infestation. Your pets, especially cats, can easily spot the smell and can help you identify an uninvited guest.
- Active rodents leave easily identifiable tracks and runways in the home.
- Rats and mice gnaw on items for food as well as shelter. They make nests out of the shredded fiber or paper. If you see piles of any of these materials, you are living with them already.
Difference between Rats and Mice
The identification of rodents has another important aspect. You should know the difference between rats and mice if you want better control over the situation.
The three most common species residing in the US households are Rattus rattus, Rattus norvegicus, and Mus musculus. The common names are roof rat, Norway rat, and household muse respectively.
The first big difference lies in their behavior. The mice are curious little creatures and love to investigate new things. It is easy to lure and trap them.
The rats are cautious than mice. They roam around the house rather carefully and avoid new things. It gets tricky to control them.
As far as the appearance goes, the following are few prominent identifying features.
- House Mice: They have a light brown body with a dark tail. Some have light gray shades. They are small in size and an average adult weighs about 15 grams. Mice have a small head, pointed snout, small feet, and large ears. Their droppings are rod-shaped.
- Roof Rat: These rats are generally gray with a dark tail. The smooth coat has black shadings on it too. An average adult weighs about 200 gm. Roof rats have a slender body, pointed snout and large ears. They are less hairy than mice.
- Norway Rat: The shaggy coat of Norway rats is mostly brown. Their tail is different from the other two rodents generally found in a house. The tail is darker on top and lighter beneath. They are larger as compared to mice and roof rats and weight about 300 grams. They have a thick heavy body with a black snout and short ears. Capsule like droppings are indications of Norway rats.
Preventing Your Home against Infestation
Prevention is better than cure. The first and foremost step is to practically block all the entryways of the rodents. Inspect the foundation and walls and secure all potential entryways. Winters are knocking our doors and the rodents might enter without knocking them. Beware of the uninvited guests.
There should be no food leftovers in the house. The pet food serves as a delicious meal for them. Keep it in the sealed packages instead of bags and cartons.
Garbage bins are the favorite places of rats and mice. They will find a variety of food items in it. Keep the bins covered if not sealed. Regular cleaning is important to keep away organisms.
You can buy a pet to ward off the rodents. Cats are voracious rodent feeders.
Seek Professional Help
Rodents are the world’s best invaders. This is not good news for you. Dealing with them can get nerve wrenching at times. When all your attempts fail, hire trained professionals for rodent removal in Glen Head NY. They have the required expertise, skill, patience and the right tools to do the job.